Monday, 21 November 2011

Every time you smile at someone, it is an action of love, a gift to that person, a beautiful thing. -Mother Teresa

I love this quote.

Why?

Because it has real meaning for me.

A few years ago I was going through what was probably the most stressful time of my life – what do I mean probably – I mean it was definitely the most stressful time of my life.

What could make a whole difference to my day was a small act of kindness. Someone holding open a door for me; someone letting me out of that blasted junction you just can’t see round in a car... a smile…

Some acknowledgement that despite the stress, I was still a living breathing human being and each of these small acts of kindness connected me to the world. A world that wasn’t just full of injustice, pain and problems – but one with friendship, connection and love.

In times since, in my now-content world, I try and return the favour. To let that person out from that junction; cross the road; hold open a door to someone manoeuvring a pushchair; have a chat to the person at the check-out...to simply smile.

And guess what! Doing it makes my day a better day too! It’s still making that connection with the world. It takes me away from focussing on me and enables me to focus on someone else. That’s really empowering.

It’s a good technique if you’re lacking in confidence yourself. Smile at someone! Complementing someone is a lovely way of getting a conversation started. Just focussing on another person and helping them out, even if that’s just holding open the door for them. Try it...go on!

I wish I could thank every single person who unknowingly made my day bearable by their simple acts of kindness. But I can’t. Nine times out of ten I don’t know who they were and I’ll never see them again. But my thanks is carried in smiling at other people - as you never know what a difference it might make.

1 comment:

  1. Isn't it amazing how a smile -- such a small, painless, free thing -- can make a huge difference in our lives. I've been there, too.
    Annis @ www.thedaymaker.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete